Japan: Panasonic Scholarship 2007
"Overseas Application Program"
2007 Panasonic Scholarship 9th Year Panasonic Scholarship in Indonesia !
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (hereinafter "MEI") was founded in 1918. The corporate mission has been contributing to the progress and development of society and the well-being of people through our business activities, thereby enhancing the quality of life throughout the world. Since its foundation, MEI has endeavored to fulfill this mission by manufacturing and selling a wide variety of electronic products all over the world. In commemoration of its 80th anniversary in 1998, MEI decided to launch "Panasonic Scholarship" which provides promising students from Asian countries/area with good opportunities to do research at universities in Japan, to enable them to contribute to the development of their countries/area and to promote friendship and mutual understanding between these countries/area and Japan in the 21st Century.
MEI will accept applications for "2007 Panasonic Scholarship in Indonesia" under the terms and conditions stated below.
We have an E-application! To make it easier to apply and while at the same time save trees (environmentally friendly and paper-less), the application form is available online.
This year the Indonesia Panasonic Office will select Panasonic Scholarship applicants in three phases, as follows:
All candidates must apply through (and only by) electronics application. This first selection will seek a record of the applicants overall data including: biographical information, academic records (GPA), language capabilities, and readiness to enroll master degree program in Japan. The deadline for E-application submission is March 31, 2006. In Phase I, we will select 40 applicants as semifinalist and their names will be announced in April 5, 2006, via e-mail and website.
Semifinalists will be notified and receive an official application form in April 6- April 20, 2006. The form will require detailed biographical data, academic report (transcript), an essay, and personal recommendations.
The semifinalist must submit official application form by mail to the Indonesia Panasonic Scholarship Office not later than April 30, 2006–postmarked. The committee will screen the documents of application and select 12 finalist by May 8, 2006.
On middle of June 2006, all finalists will be invited to attend the Final Selection Stage. The Committee composed of Panasonic Indonesia top management, distinguished universities professors, Director of the Panasonic Scholarship Inc. Japan, and Training & Recruitment Consultants will interview and evaluate each finalist.
The 3 (three) most qualified finalists will be selected to be Panasonic Scholarship Nominee. Actual Scholarship presentation will be conducted in Japan by April 2007.
SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION
March 1 - March 31 E-application Period (Submission Phase I)
April 6 - April 30 Application Period (Submission Phase II)
May 1 - May 8 Screening (By documents)
Mid of June Final Selection (Interview)
July Notification of the result
A privately financed student from Indonesia, who wishes to pursue a master’s course in Japan, should fulfill the following requirements and qualifications:
Applicants must be a citizen of Indonesia
Applicants must be 27 years or less as of April 1, 2006 (Born on April,1979 or after)
3) Enrollment as Research Student in Japan:
Applicants must have obtained or be able to obtain approval or informal consent from academic adviser for admission to graduate school in Japan as a research student by the end of 2006. Applicants must be enrolled as research students at universities in Japan in April, 2007.
Applicants must have adequate proficiency and knowledge in Japanese language for studying at master's course in Japan, which is Level-1 of Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) or equivalent. Applicants must pass at least Level-3 of Japanese Language Proficiency Test in December 2006 or 2007
5) Master’s Course:
After being nominated as a Panasonic Scholarship Student. Applicants must enroll at graduate schools in Japan and be able to take master’s course in April, 2007
6) Application Site:
Indonesian applicants must apply for this program in Indonesia and must be able to take all procedures for selection in Indonesia.
7) Educational Background:
Applicants must be graduates with distinguished result of university, and must have completed 16 years of school education.
Applicants must major in any one of the following disciplines:
Natural Science & Mathematics, Engineering, Bio-technology, and Information Technology (Except :
Medical science, Pharmacology and Dentistry)
9) Health: Applicants must be medically fit.
10) Applicants must be interested in and have the desire to contribute to the development of Indonesia and to promote friendship between Indonesia and Japan.
11) Arrival in Japan:
Applicants must arrive in Japan by the designated day from the end of March through beginning of April 2007.
Those who fall under the following category are not Eligible for Panasonic Scholarship
a) Those who are receiving, will receive or will apply for other scholarship including Japanese Government Scholarship.
b) Those who are already enrolled at graduate school in Japan.
Indonesia Panasonic Office will select Panasonic Scholarship candidates in three phases, as follow :
This first selection will seek a record of the applicants overall data including: biographical information, academic records (GPA), language capabilities, and readiness to enroll master degree program in Japan.
All candidates must apply through (and only by) electronics application [e-application FORM].
The deadline for e-application submission is March 31, 2006. In Phase I, we will select 40 applicants as semifinalist and their names will be announced in April 5, 2006 via e-mail and website.
Semifinalists will be notified and receive an official application form in April 6- 20. The form will require detailed biographical data, academic report (transcript), an essay of master research proposal, personal recommendations, and Professor acceptance or informal consent. The semifinalist must submit by mail not later than April 30, 2006– postmarked, official application form (item 1 until 5) as mentioned below,
1) Application form (prescribed form No.1)
2) Testimonial from the dean of the university you graduated from (prescribed form No.2)
3) Study and research plan in Japan (prescribed form No.3)
4) Original university transcript (or legalized), photocopy unacceptable.
5) A certified true copy of your degree
6) Recent Medical Report*
7) Letter of confirmation from your employer stating your release from your job function to pursue the Master’s course (only those who are currently employed)*
8) Three ( 3 ) copies of recent photographs*, size 4x3cm, upper half of the body from the front with head
uncovered. Write applicants names on the reverse side and one copy must be affixed on the
application form No.1 .
9) Pledge (to be submitted by the successful candidates only)*
Note: *item 6), 7), 8), 9) will be submitted after selected as nominated candidates
Place of application :
Indonesia Panasonic Scholarship Office
PT Panasonic Manufacturing Indonesia
Jl. Raya Bogor Km.29 Pekayon, Pasar Rebo, Jakarta 13710
Tel.: 021-871-7844/Fax: 021-871-0851
• Finalists will be announced on May 8, 2006 by email.
On June 2006 all finalists will be invited to attend the Final Selection Stage. The Committee composed of Panasonic Indonesia top management, distinguished universities professors, Director of the Panasonic Scholarship Inc. Japan, and Training & Recruitment Consultants will interview and evaluate each finalist. The 3 (Three) most qualified finalists will be selected to be Panasonic Scholarship Nominee. Actual Scholarship presentation will be conducted in Japan by April 2007.
NUMBER OF STUDENTS TO BE ACCEPTED
3 (Three) students
SUSPENTION AND TERMINATION OF SCHOLARSHIP
The scholarship will be suspended or terminated, and money already disbursed may be subject to repayment in full or in part if any one of the following conditions applies to a scholarship recipient:
1. False information was written in the application forms.
2. Fails in passing the entrance examination for master’s course within one year after arrival in Japan, i.e. by March, 2008.
3. Fails in arriving in Japan by designated day from the end of March through beginning of April in 2007.
4. Being caught for misconduct by the graduate school/Japanese-language institute, or is deemed not likely to complete the requirements for graduation.
5. A long-term absence, withdrawal and suspension from the graduate school/Japanese-language institute.
6. Shows poor academic performance including dropouts, lack of the desire to study or being unable to keep his/her research for some reasons.
7. Neglects to report his/her research results at the end of each term of research student , Year 1 and Year 2 of master's courses.
8. Finds difficulties in continuing study due to illness or other health problems.
9. Utilizes the scholarship for purpose other than academic study or a means of living.
10. Receives another scholarship including Japanese Government (Monbu Kagaku sho) scholarship.
11. Violates the Pledge submitted to MEI, Japan
12. Fails in JLPT Level-3 as a second trial in December 2007.
DURATION OF PANASONIC SCHOLARSHIP
Panasonic Scholarship will be provided for max. three years program including max. one year of Japanese language training and study as a research student and max. two years for master's course;
a. Year One — Enrollment as research students in universities in Japan and Japanese-language training in Japanese-language institutes.
b. Year Two & Three — Register and complete master’s course in Japan.
The entire period shall not exceed three years in any circumstances. The scholarship will be terminated if a scholarship recipient fails to gain admission to master course in Japan within one year after arrival in Japan (March, 2008).
ITEM TO BE NOTED
Panasonic Scholarship Students and Nominated Students must follow the below listed notes
1) The sole purpose of this scholarship is to be utilized for your study and research of your master’s course in Japan, and the scholarship shall not be misused.
2) The nominated students must be responsible for selecting a graduate school, getting an informal consent and confirming the university’s admission with a Japanese university.
3) The nominated students must make all necessary documents, procedures and preparations for getting a passport and a visa for entry to Japan and reserving accommodations before your arrival in Japan. If you enter a Japanese language school, you must complete necessary procedures before your arrival in Japan.
4) The nominated students must be prepared with enough money to cover initial expenses, including traveling expenses to Japan, admission and tuition fee to be paid to his/her university/Japanese- language institute before arrival in Japan, temporary expenses incurred upon arrival in Japan before payment of the scholarship which begins only after the student arrives in Japan.
5) The nominated students are required to be enrolled as research students in Japanese graduate school in April 2006 before sitting for the entrance examination for master’s course. Therefore, the nominated students must contact an academic adviser or a supervising professor/instructor without delay to obtain informal consent by the academic adviser and finish application for enrollment as early as possible within 2007 in order to receive Notice of Entrance Permission issued by the university which is necessary for you to obtain Visa for your entry to Japan.
6) The nominated students must study Japanese language more than 300 hours to master basic Japanese language (Level 3 of Japanese Language Proficiency Test) before coming to Japan, as minimum requirement.
• The nominated students are required to take Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) conducted in each county at the beginning of December, 2006.
• The candidates are also required to attain Level-1 or the equivalent level by the time of enrollment at master's course.
• If he/she fails in JLPT Level-3 before arriving in Japan, he/she must take Level-3 test as a second trial in December 2007. If he/she again fails in JLPT Level-3 as a second trial, he/she will be disqualified for Panasonic Scholarship.
7) It is advisable for the nominated students to learn Japanese culture and customs in order to complete study and research in Japan within the designated period.
8) The nominated students are required to follow instructions given by the Panasonic Scholarship Office and to submit necessary documents without delay.
9) The documents submitted shall not be returned under any circumstances
CONTENT OF PANASONIC SCHOLARSHIP
a. Year One, Japanese language training and study as research student (max. one year)
¥ 150,000 per month
Arrival Allowance ¥200,000 will be paid to successful applicants
as support to cover travel expenses to/from Japan, necessary
expenditures to prepare for coming to Japan and initial
expenditures for living in Japan.
Tuition Fee Assistance* Maximum ¥ 250,000 will be paid in each semester.*The actual amount will be paid in case the tuition fee isless than ¥ 500,000 per year.
b. Year Two & Three, Master’s Course in Graduate School (maximum 2 years)
¥ 180,000 per month
Matriculation Fee Assistance ¥ 200,000 will be paid in the first year of master's course *The actual amount will be paid in case the matriculation fee is less than ¥ 200,000.
Tuition Fee Assistance* ¥ 250,000 will be paid in each semester
Source for more detail.