Japan: Fellowship Matsumae International
Matsumae International Foundation
Sponsor: Matsumae International Foundation
Deadline: July 31, 2006
Anticipated deadline. A deadline for the next cycle has not been confirmed. The record will be updated when new program information becomes available.
Amount Note: Usually 20 people per year receive fellowships. Fellowships are for a period of three to six months.
Fellowship recipients will receive an economy-class, round-trip air ticket between the airport nearest the fellow's home and Tokyo via most direct routing; a lump sum of ¥300,000 to assist with the cost of lodging and local travel expenses; a monthly research stipend of ¥200,000; and personal accident insurance and sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following general eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents:
1. Applicants must hold a doctorate degree, or have a minimum of two years of research experience after receipt of a master's degree, or be recognized by the
foundation as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
2. Applicants must not be over 40 years of age at the time of application.
3. Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English or Japanese to prevent insurmountable difficulties during their research activities in Japan.
4. Applicants should not have been in Japan previously. The application must be submitted from the applicant's home country. Under no circumstances will an application be accepted from a person already in Japan.
5. Applicants who have firm positions and professions in their home nations should apply from their countries, and should return to their countries on completion of their research activities in Japan.
6. Applicants who have previously been invited by the Matsumae International Foundation are not eligible for this fellowship program.
Citizenship or Residency: Unrestricted
Activity Location: Japan
Requirements: Ph.D./M.D./Other Professional
Abstract: The Matsumae International Foundation's fellowships aim to further peace and prosperity on the basis of mutual understanding through peaceful co-existence with other nations of the world, and to deepen an understanding of Japan.
Fields of study such as the natural sciences, engineering, and medicine are preferred; however, applicants from the social sciences, humanities, and the arts will receive secondary consideration.
Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions, or the corresponding facilities of private industry) in which to carry out their research. Acceptance must be obtained in advance of
submitting applications for a fellowship.
Contact Address: Matsumae International Foundation
4-14-46, Kamiogi, Suginami-ku
Contact City: Tokyo
Contact Zip: 167-0043
Contact Country: Japan
Contact Fax: +81 (03) 3301-7601
Contact Email: contact@...